Friday, June 13, 2008




Revgals’ Mother Laura is off to the beach with her family. She has a long list of what is “groovin’” for her on the beach and she says:

So in honor of summer, please share your own beachy memories, plans, and dreams with a "Beach Trip" Friday Five.

1. Ocean rocks, lake limps? Vice versa? Or "it's all beautiful in its own way"?
I don’t like the beach! I am far too Celtic of skin tone to like sun with or without SF factors to be comfortable. I am not too keen on sand either. If I want to go to water on vacation it is a nice mountain stream or tree-lined lake. I am not crazy about the heat either so shady with a nice breeze fits my bill. Why else would I live in upstate NY?
2. Year round beach living: Heaven...or the Other Place?
When we lived in CA I can count on one hand the times we went to the beach. I love to fish, but surf fishing is quite dangerous, and since I like to fish alone, it wasn’t safe to do. I don’t like living in CA where the earth moves under your feet. I have lived on the Gulf Coast and liked that. I liked being able to look at the water at all times of the day, but never to sit on the beach.

3. Any beach plans for this summer?

We are going to Vancouver and Seattle this year. The beaches there will be to look at but not sit upon.


4. Best beach memory ever? When I lived on Galveston in my youth I lived only a block from the shore. One year there was what was called a “blue tide.” It was when phosphorescent plankton was near the shore. Each wave lit up as it came to the beach. At night it was the most pronounced. One night (a school night, no less) I stayed up until 3am watching each wave as it glowed neon as it dashed against the seawall. Awesome!

5. Fantasy beach trip? I would love to see New Zealand and perhaps live on a boat for a few days. I wouldn’t mind fishing either.

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what the beach means to you.
Debussy’s La Mer, Mendlesonn’s Fingal's Cave

No comments: