Friday, October 17, 2008




Songbird at Revgals has a new Friday Five:

Well, Gals and Pals, this weekend we'll be rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and that has me thinking about coinage.

1) When was the last time you flipped a coin or even saw one flipped in person?

I see folks flip coins at the beginning of football games or other games on a fairly regular basis. It seems a fair way to determine things that are of some importance but can’t be determined in any other way. Every once in a while, I will flip a coin when I can’t make up my mind about what to do, but it is rather rare.

2) Do you have any foreign coins in your house? If so, where are they from?

We went to Canada this summer so we still have several dollar coins hanging around. I think I still have a small coin purse with some coins from France and the UK left over from my sabbatical in 1995—but hey, they now use Euros so maybe they will be collectors’ items one day in my dotage.

3) A penny saved is a penny earned, they say. But let's get serious. Is there a special place in heaven for pennies, or do you think they'll find a special place in, well, the other place?

I am one of those who put their change in a jar at night. I carry a billfold and not a purse so I always have coins in my pocket. That cache always goes toward vacation or some fun activity that comes up off the budget. I haven’t counted or rolled the coins lately. This may be the niggle to get me count those coins.

4) How much did you get from the tooth fairy when you were a child? and if you have children of your own, do they get coins, or paper money? (I hear there may be some inflation.)

I got a dime when I was a kid. Howcum when you get old and you have to have teeth pulled, the tooth fairy doesn’t come??? It just seems so unfair! Those teeth have seen good wear and tear! They deserve to be honored! No kids, no tooth fairy. It must be discrimination! Guess we need to organize and see if we can get AARP to lobby!


5) Did anyone in your household collect the state quarters? And did anyone in your household manage to sustain the interest required to stick with it?

J collected them. I don’t know if she got all of them. If I get out my jar to count my coin, I know she will be over my shoulder!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Keep those UK coins, we don't use Euro's here yet!!! Too independent I guess.

Jan said...

I've always thought that collecting change in a jar would be good idea, but have never gotten around to it. My second child collected four huge and tall jars with pennies when she was in high school--and hated rolling them into rolls to redeem them at the bank.

Unknown said...

Oh, the adult tooth fairy takes your teeth AND your money...

Lori said...

We should get paid for losing teeth as adults! I lost 6 when I got braces and the only one who got money was the orthodontist. Unfair. Though I did give him quite a lot of pain for his trouble.