Friday, September 4, 2009
Super Charged: Friday Five
Sally at Revgals has come in with a charged up Friday Five: “A few weeks ago my lap-top battery died, suddenly I found myself looking at a blank screen and was rather relieved to find that it was only the battery and not the whole computer that had failed. This morning a new battery arrived in the post, and suddenly I am mobile again!
After a week with what feels like wall to wall meetings, and Synod looming on the horizon for tomorrow I find myself pondering my own need to recharge my batteries. This afternoon Tim and I are setting off to explore the countryside around our new home, I always find that walking in the fresh air away from phones and e-mails recharges me. But that is not the only thing that restores my soul, so do some people, books, pieces of music etc....
So I wonder what/ who gives you energy?”
1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low?
Being an extrovert other people are often the catalyst to my feelings. There are several people I look forward to revving me up. Several colleagues are special ones. I have lunch after services on Sunday with another single woman colleague and we get through the post service fatigue together. J is the person I seek out when I am really bumbed out. My friend, Elizabeth Kaeton, who has that lesbian humor so deeply imbedded in her that she can make me laugh when I feel the most depleated.
2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you?
Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony #7, Mozart’s Requiem, most of the stuff from Taize, ( I could write a book!) Almost any medieval religious piece and all Gregorian Chant.
3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope?
Ben Sirach, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Mark. The story of Balaam’s donkey!
4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside?
Neither work for me. I found that I really enjoyed the beach this summer. I also find that time for reading and quiet are beneficial to my sanity.
5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging, write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....
After vacation this month, I am pretty good. I got some good news from my bishop yesterday and I am good.