Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Five: On Your Feet!





Too often the Friday Fives I offer up seem extremely introspective, so here's something that could be fun. I notice as I finish my sixth decade that my taste in footwear is much different than when I was younger, as comfort wins out over fashion. So look at your feet and think about what you put on them!

1. What is your favorite footwear at this time in your life?

I prefer whatever is comfortable. I have found a style of Munro’s call unstructured that are wonderful. They are black and hold a decent shine and look decent under vestments. This morning I am wearing new shoes—Birkenstock oxfords. They look horribly manish, but they feel like my Birks with sox. We are having our first snow today—seemed like a good choice.

2. What was the craziest shoe, boot, or sandal you ever wore?

I had to wear bright red pumps for a wedding when I was in college. YUCK!

3. What kind of shoes did you wear in your childhood?

When I was small we all wore oxfords. Little children needed support for their little feet. As a teen, black suede penny loafers were the rage with white bobbysoxs.

4. How do you feel most comfortable? Barefoot, flip-flops, boots, or what?

If I could get away with it, I would be barefoot, then Birkenstocks, then sneakers, then boots. I do not wear heels of any kind and haven’t for at least 30 years.

5. What kind of socks do you like, if any?

I love nutty socks, the wilder the better, but I can’t get away with too much. I love Thorlo’s. They are warm and comfy.

Bonus: Anything you want to share about feet or footwear.

In the winter I wear boots a lot. Our parking lot ends up being a quagmire and so I need something that I can kick off when I get inside. Since I wear a size 11, and I live in a town with not a single good shoe store, I have to buy on line. ^(&^%% Boots are so hard to buy on line. Got any suggestions?

2 comments:

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Suggestions?

Two, actually - the first far less expensive than the second:

1. Dansko Outlet. I LOVES me my Dansko shoes. They were first invented as 'clogs' for the South African Heart Transplant Team because they had to be on their feet 12-18 hrs at a stretch. That was, what? 35-40 years ago? Now, they are just flat-out comfortable, and in a variety of colors and styles. The outlet store online is FAR less expensive than buying them in boutiques - up to 50% - 75% off. Big savings.

2. Doc Martin USA Think it's www.DMUSA.org. No real sales here and the shoes can be pretty "manish" (as you say) but one pair is a lifetime investment. Saving up now for a pair of boots. About $120 - $250 for a good solid shoe or boot. Sometimes on sale for 20% off.

ginny s. said...

For slogging through cold, mud, slush, water, & snow, nothing beats Sorel boots: rubber bottoms, leather uppers, fur or felt-lined. These are serious outdoor winter boots, comfy for many miles of walking. My old ones lasted 28 years! I never regretted not looking feminine, because my feet never got cold or wet. Online at www.zappos.com/sorel.