Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday, October 29, 2010Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Comfort Media Edition

Friday, October 29, 2010Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Comfort Media Edition




Katherine posted today's Friday Five:  It is about movies that comfort, but I have gone beyond the movies....Muthah

I don't get to watch that much tv anymore, but I actually wrote today's Oprah show down on my calendar. Why? Because she is hosting a Sound of Music cast reunion!!! Those of you who know me may be surprised that I would care so much about such a stereotypically girly flick, but I love it (although admittedly fast forward through the Reverend Mother's rendition of Climb Every Mountain). I can watch this movie over and over and over again.



It seems no matter how many new movies, tv shows or books come down the pike I still have my ol' stand by favorites that I can watch/read over and over and when I do they actually bring me comfort - like an old sweatshirt or a favorite food.



Today's Friday Five is an opportunity for you to list five of your favorite 'go-to' movies/tv shows/books. You can use images, links, explanations or netflix.



If you play the Friday Five at your blog and would like visitors, be sure to share a link in the comments. For a complete how-to on how to post your link, click here.





Thank you for playing

I didn’t catch Oprah and I am not a DVD fan. We have one but I don’t know how to make it work. So I don’t watch movies over and over unless they are being shown on the TV channels. It takes me a long time to read novels because I am a bit dyslexic so I don’t reread novels too often either. But there are a few movies that I rewatch and a few books I reread that just feel comfortable.


1. For some reason, I enjoy True Lies. I am not a Schwartzeneger fan, but I do enjoy Jamie Lee Curtis and the whole incredible story is just catches me and I laugh at the same jokes over and over. The scene with the Harrier Jet just cracks me up!


2. Any Harry Potter film I will watch again. I have seen them all. I love to go back and see Harry when he was a little kid and then think of him as a grow person as he is now. But I just have always loved the British school scene of Hogwarts.


3. A couple of British mysteries I read over and over: Dorothy Parker’s Gaudy Night and Josephine Tey’s Daughter of Time. And now I turn to Laurie R. King’s Folly which I think is the best mystery of the 21st century that I have read. Laurie’s husband attended my church in CA back in the ‘90’s. And I feel privileged to have met her. But that novel touches me in a way that few have. Deeply feminist, deeply attentive to the creative work of women, deeply imbedded in the family systems that often create us.


4. I think that comfort has taken a different turn since I have retired. I find great comfort in writing and thinking about where my life has been and where it is going now. Perhaps it is because I am no longer preaching and this “voice” of mine will out, no matter what, but I am finding comfort in writing about church, faith, lgbtq presence in the Church and where I think that we are headed or where I would like to go. It isn’t memoires, per se. But it is the same kind of energy that I would find in bringing the Gospel to life in the parish. Cf. www.stoneofwitness.blogspot.com


5. I have found comfort in cooking in times past. But for some reason I don’t find it as much now that we have moved. I think part of the reason is that I don’t have Wegmans, the supermarket that I loved in NY. My local markets here in FTW are not as foodie-friendly as Wegmans was. The supermarkets here in FTW are so far away that it makes it hard to get excited about coming home from the store and fixing something special. Also, I find that food does not store well here. We can’t buy a gallon of milk and have it last. It sours much faster than it did in NY. Also during the summer, it was hard to bring home delicate items such as chicken livers, or freshly baked bread without it ruining before it could be fixed. My menus have gotten rather prosaic here. Sigh. I guess I will have to find something else that gives comfort.

7 comments:

altar ego said...

Ah, Laurie King. I love her modern mysteries--not so much the Sherlock Holmes ones. I didn't know about Folly, will have to see if I can find it at the library.

Great play. I appreciate especially what you write about writing. It's something to which I really need to return.

kathrynzj said...

Thank you for this list. My prayers for you as you continue to find your comforts in this new part of your journey.

Also, 'True Lies'? Love it!

angela said...

I'm with altar ego--I'm a big Laurie King fan, but from the brilliant Holmes redone from the side of a woman who is his companion and superior... I've read and liked one of the Kate Martinelli series, don't know which one (The Art of Detection?).

But I have been scared off by the others when I read the back cover--I have to have a solution by the end and if it involves rape or serial murders I don't often read/watch it as those things hang around in my head too long and give me the nightmares something fierce.

Sandy said...

I will have to check out Laurie King's work. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

Oh, wow. Gaudy Night and Daughter of Time. My single favorite books from my single favorite mystery writers. LOVE. THEM. (side note: I was introduced to both Tey and Sayers from reading Madeleine L'Engle.) I've been looking for a new mystery author. I may have to give Laurie King a try.

Diane M. Roth said...

I DO love the Daughter of Time. I'll be checking out the other mysteries, too.

thinking a lot about what you said about cooking...

Wendy said...

I just finished FOLLY. Thanks for the recommendation.