Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Five: Trader Joe's!!!!!!!!!!!




Sophia is ecstatic:

Gals and pals on the West and East coasts, and a few spots in between, may know of Trader Joe's--a quirky, well-stocked, well priced semi-gourmet store that attains near cult status among some. I discovered it through my Aunt Judy, who always brought a couple of their desserts to holiday parties....The best was a chocolate ganache torte that had my four year olds begging for it (and among the only four year olds on the planet to know what ganache is, presumably).


My family has happily Trader Joe'd in southernmost California, up to the Northwest, and back down to southern Cal. And now we're really excited because today a brand new Trader Joe is opening up across the street from our apartment. Wahoo! There are sure to be lots of tasty free samples on opening day and from now on we can just walk across the street to get a lot of our shopping done. I have a new spiritual directee coming tomorrow and she has already mentioned that she'll be stopping in on the way here, leaving me to be jealous cause I'll be spending that noon hour like, praying and preparing and study-vacuuming and everything, and won't be able to stop in till the afternoon.


So in honor of the new Trader Joe's, this week's Friday Five is all about food shopping.


1. Grocery shopping--love it or hate it?


I generally like to grocery shop. We don’t have a Trader Joe’s here in upstate NY. We do have Wegman’s. I worked there between churches back in 2002-3, so I am really aware of what they have and don’t have. It is not as “californian” as is Joe’s. Whenever we are in the West we stock up on Joe’s salsas. But Wegman’s has a number of neat gourmet things and a nice prepared foods line. They also have sushi made fresh while you wait that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. They also have the best pizza in town. I hardly ever roast a chicken anymore since they have roasted chickens for $4.99. I use it for fajitas to chicken salad.

2. Who is the primary food shopper in your household?

I am the primary shopper. J gets things like milk and chocolate éclairs which neither of us need.


3. Do you have a beloved store like TJ's which is unique to your location or family?


We have Sam’s. And I do shop there upon occasion but the large volume is usually too much for just the two of us. But their meat is quite good. And it is the only place I can get briskets for barbeque.

4. How about a farmer's market, or CSA share, as we move into summer? Or do you grow your own fruits/veggies/herbs?

Not far from the church is a wonderful farmer’s market I have traded at off and on for 25 years. I love their tomatoes and strawberries because they trade with the local farmers. I refuse to buy Driscoll berries. I had a church in Watsonville, CA where they are from and I didn't like the way that they treated their workers.

I wish I could grow my own stuff but our yard is very shady. Not even my herbs will grow. My landlady has some mint, chives and sometimes thyme that she will let me pick. That is all I really need. I can get hydroponic basil at the store. As folks begin to harvest their gardens, I sometimes get tomatoes and squash. I have already gotten some rhubarb.

5. What's the favorite thing you buy at the grocery store?


Cheese and Italian supplies such as roasted red peppers or different olive oils. I also like their fresh baked goods. There is a kind of bread called “Marco Polo” that I just love. Because we are in a large Italian community, we get lots of different kinds of pasta, olive oils, and sauces.

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

All that Italian stuff sounds really yummy.