Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Five: Vision





Sophia from Revgals has put up a Friday Five that has to do with vision:

This Friday Five is inspired by my husband's Lasik surgery yesterday....He'd been contemplating it for a while and was pushed over the edge by the fact that we put too much money in our healthcare spending account this year and it would have been gone anyway. (There was only enough for one eye, but the kind people at the eye clinic figured out a way to divvy up the charges between surgery and followup in January=next year's spending account). So please say a little prayer for his safe recovery and share with us your thoughts on eyes and vision.

1. What color are your beautiful eyes? Did you inherit them from or pass them on to anyone in your family?


My eyes are quite blue. My father’s were blue also as were my grandmother’s. When I went to the ophtomologist a couple of weeks ago, I was told that I didn’t have much pigment in my irises and that I would be sensitive to bright lights as I get older. Grrrr!

2. What color eyes would you choose if you could change them?

I have always liked my blue eyes, but I guess I would like a bit more pigmentation so that night driving wouldn’t bother me so much.

3. Do you wear glasses or contacts? What kind? Like 'em or hate 'em?

I started wearing glasses when I went to graduate school. I am astigmatic and near sighted so I wear varigated lenses. I really hate wearing them and take them off as often as I can. I tried contacts once, but I hated putting them in and I couldn't see as well as with my glasses.
Both of my parents have gone blind. Father had diabetic retinopathy and Mom has macular degeneration. I must admit I am more that a bit wary of my eyes having seen what it has done to my parents’ old age.


4. Ever had, or contemplated, laser surgery? Happy with the results?

I have been told I am not a candidate for lasik. I am not sure why that is. I do have cataracts that will have to be removed, but they are not ready to be removed yet. It means that my eyes tire quickly and after a day at the computer I can’t read in the evenings. This getting old is a pain ….

5. Do you like to look people in the eye, or are you more eye-shy?

I am definitely a ‘look you in the eye’ kinda gal. I can stare down the best of them. Too many years of teaching jr. high, I guess. It was also a value of my era and locale growing up. Looking someone in the eye meant that you were truthful. It has stuck with me.

Bonus question: Share a poem, song, or prayer that relates to eyes and seeing.

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You.

2 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Now that is a song I have never heard of....I did see a pretty funny youtube the other day about enforcing liturgical etiquette in Texas by means of a linebacker who tackled men talking on cell phones, girls in skimpy clothes, etc.

Hawthorne Holly said...

My eyes are a hazel which is a combination from both parents. I like my eyes and wouldn't change them. I have worn corrective lenses since junior high school, I wore contacts and liked them but I am not able to wear them any longer.I am a laser surgery candidate, but it costs too much. I can absolutely look someone in the eye because I am honest. Two songs come to my mind: I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.....and Day by Day, 3 things I pray, to see thee more clearly.