Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Romans 13:11-14




Salvation is near

Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; the night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; let us live honorably as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Comments: Now, this is a reading that I can really appreciate the day before Christmas Eve! This is when I wake up to the fact that I have forgotten something that is important for the holiday—mother’s Christmas present, the lights for the crèche, something. It is a reading that reminds me that stuff is just stuff and bother, just not worth it. It is when I wake up to the reality that Christ is alive in my life in the midst of all the hustle and bustle. It is HE that is worth all the rushing around. It is he that comes that makes family, friends, church, life worth it. The rushing around is just part of what it means to be human at this time of year. The rushing around is so that we can celebrate the center of our lives.

At the same time this reminds me to address the consumerism in my life that takes away from the basic needs of those who have nothing. It reminds me to rejoice but also work to help those whose lives are burdened by lack. And in the midst of all the rush I must remember it is a simple child in a stable that makes my life meaningful.

No comments: